Terminix is one of the largest pest control companies in the world, with branches across the United States and in 22 countries globally. The company was started in 1927 by E. L. Bruce, who also owned the E.L.Bruce Company (a manufacturer of hardware floors) in Memphis, Tennessee. Tired of seeing his products destroyed by termites, E.L Bruce founded the Bruce-Terminix Research Laboratory in search of an answer to his pest problems. Five years later, one of the senior chemists at the lab came up with the world’s first termiticide.
By the mid-1950s, Terminix was operating as a domestic termite control company and offered their services to both homeowners and businesses. And by the early 70s, the name had changed to Terminix International to reflect the scope of their operations.
Today, Terminix has 300 branches in over 22 countries worldwide and has numerous awards to its name including Pest Control Technology Magazine’s Top 100 Pest Control Companies, The Business Journal’s FAST 50, and NCPMA’s Technician of the Year.
Things to know:
- Terminix offers both residential and commercial pest control services.
- Their services include: Ant, cockroach, spider, tick, mosquito, rodent, and wildlife control (including raccoons, opossums, squirrels, skunks, and more).
- Terminix offers a free inspection service with a qualified technician who can professionally assess your situation and outline a suitable control plan if you’re unsure about what you’re dealing with.
- Their top-of-the-range service also includes follow-up visits and annual inspections for guaranteed results.
Aptive Environmental is a relatively new pest control company that was begun in December 2015. Despite having only been around a few years, it is one of the fastest-growing pest control companies in North America and, today boasts locations in over 2000 cities across 27 states.
Founded by David Royce, Aptive is all about finding a smarter approach to pest control, with a heavy focus on proactive measures. Their arsenal of progressive pest control solutions effectively reduces the health and environmental risks associated with more traditional forms of pest control. With a modern approach to application methods, training, products, and pest management techniques Aptive breathes new life into a tired industry.
Aptive Environmental doesn’t just deal with residential and commercial pest control, either. They are also partnered with ‘Nothing But Nets,’ a non-profit organization dedicated to stopping the spread of malaria around the world.
The company’s success was roundly celebrated at the 2019 American Business Awards when Aptive environmental won not one but three gold Stevie awards. It was also the youngest company to be featured on Glassdoor’s list of Top 100 Workplaces for 2019.
Things to know:
- Aptive Environmental offers a range of residential and commercial pest control services.
- They tackle a wide variety of pests, including: Ants, spiders, rodents, centipedes, fleas, cockroaches, scorpions, mud-daubers, ticks, yellow jackets, centipedes, beetles, weevils, moths, aphids, crickets, earwigs, millipedes, pillbugs, silverfish, and snails.
- Aptive Environmental’s service begins with a thorough inspection of your property by a certified pest control technician.
- Once your problem has been identified and assessed, a customized quarterly protection plan will be drawn up that protects your property throughout the year.
- Aptive Environmental offers a free follow-up service to tackle any new outbreaks.
HomeAdvisor is an international home services company that first opened in 1999 under the name MagicServices. Their site is optimally designed to help their users access all the tools and resources needed for their home improvement, maintenance, and repair projects, and they have helped over 45 million homeowners to date.
Things to Know:
- HomeAdvisor is a Better Business Bureau accredited business.
- HomeAdvisor’s patented ProFinder technology can help you to find the perfect professional for your home improvement project.
- Use HomeAdvisor’s Smart Home Apps to connect with home improvement professionals.
- If you need a professional immediately, their same day service tool can help you find one within 24 hours.
- With Instant Booking you can schedule appointments and view prices immediately.
Founded in 1921 by Swedish-born Carl Strom, Western Exterminator started with nothing more than a desk, a telephone, and $25 worth of chemicals. Strom’s vision and unshakeable work ethic led Western Exterminator to early success. Before long, he had taken on a business partner – his brother-in-law, Ray Lovejoy. Together, the pair expanded their business into Northern California, opening up a second location in Oakland.
Mr. Little, the iconic mascot of Western Exterminator, was adopted by the company in 1931 when a Yellow Pages representative convinced the duo that a logo would help their sales. They agreed to place an advertisement and, in return, the Yellow Pages folk had one of their artists draw up a design for their company – and so, The Little Man was born. Mr. Little has continued as the company’s mascot ever since and remains as recognizable to their customers as their trademark yellow trucks.
Western Exterminator’s sales continued to grow and the company continued to grow throughout California. In 1971, the team moved to Arizona, and, in 1995, they expanded into Nevada.
Almost a century after its humble beginning, Western Exterminator is among the largest pest control companies in North America. Ranked as one of the top pest control companies in the country, Western Exterminator is a proud member of the Rentokil family, which provides top-range pest control services across the globe.
Things to know:
- Provides both residential and commercial pest control services.
- Their services include: Ant, bat, bed bug, bee, bird, chipmunk, cockroach, earwig, flea, fly, gopher, mole, mosquito, moth, pantry pest, rodent, scorpion, spider, squirrel, stink bugs, termite, tick, wasp and wood-boring bug control.
- Western Exterminator offers free pest inspections to accurately assess your pest control requirements.
- They also offer aftercare services – as many as you need to ensure your pest problems are satisfactorily resolved.
Corky’s Pest Control
Corky’s Pest Control has been in operation since 1967 when it was founded by Corky Mizer. Since then, they have provided sterling service to residents and business owners across Southern California and remain one of the state’s favorite pest control companies.
For over 50 years, Corky’s team of licensed pest control specialists have proven their success in tackling a wide variety of residential, business, and landscape pest control problems.
Corky’s offers a wide variety of innovative, safe, professional, and effective pest control solutions to tackle every kind of pest. What’s more, Corky’s specializes in low-impact pest control services and utilizes gentle and natural solutions that won’t harm people or the environment. For this reason, Corky’s is a household favorite in Southern California, and the company has serviced over 30,000 satisfied customers to date.
Their success in the pest control world has been recognized again and again, most recently in 2014 when Corky’s Pest Control won San Diego’s award for ‘Best Pest Control.’ They have also been awarded Certificates of Appreciation, Authentication, and Outstanding Contribution for their efforts in fighting and preventing pest infestations.
Things to know:
- Corky’s offer both residential and commercial pest control services.
- The pests they treat include: Ants, aphids, whiteflies, bed bugs, bees, wasps, birds, cockroaches, fleas, ticks, fruit flies, gophers, mosquitoes, pantry pests, rats, rodents, snails, slugs, spiders, termites.
- You can get a free quote over the phone from one of their professional technicians to come out and assess your property.
- Corky’s offers cash rewards towards their services with their referral scheme.
Orkin was first founded in Walnutport, Pennsylvania way back in 1901 by Otto Orkin. Otto began his career in pest control at an early age and began experimenting with rat poison formulations at the age of 12. By age 14, the young Orkin was selling his own rat poison door to door. His first formula contained a combination of arsenic and phosphorous paste mixed with food scraps, flour, or sugar (which he dyed red, so it could not be mistaken for food).
Otto would hand out free samples of his rat poison to neighbors, only charging customers if they were satisfied with his product and wanted more. This business model served him well and, within six months, he had several regular customers. Before long, Otto was expanding his business and, in 1909, landed in Richmond, Virginia. From there, he expanded his business to include not only poison sales but an extermination service, too.
In 1926, Otto’s business moved its headquarters to Atlanta, Georgia, and because the Orkin Extermination Company. From here, Orkin grew bigger year on year: by 1930, the company had 13 branches across 8 southern states; by 1940 he had a total of 50 branches across 14 states.
Today, Orkin has gone international with over 400 locations around the globe.
Things to know:
- Orkin provides both residential and commercial pest control services.
- Their services include: Bed bug, moth, cricket, flea, carpenter ant, hornet, scorpion, silverfish, tick, earwig, centipede, spider, mouse, rat, cockroach, termite, bee, wasp, yellow jacket and fly control.
- Orkin offers a professional inspection of your property by expert pest control technicians to identify potential problems and draw up a customized pest control plan.
- They also offer regularly scheduled follow up visits and respond promptly to recurrent problems or any other immediate pest control needs.
Clark Pest Control
One of the largest pest control companies in the United States, Clark Pest Control was originally founded in 1950 by brothers Jim Sr. Charlie Clark. The company began in Fresno, and continues to operate throughout California and Nevada to this day.
In the early days of the business, the brothers split to grow the company. Charlie took his business north to Stockton, while Jim Sr. took his half of the business south to Bakersfield. Both continued to operate under the name Clark Pest Control, and both succeeded in growing their respective businesses.
For most of its history, Clark Pest Control was a family-run business, and Charlie’s sons Terry and Joe both had a hand in the running of the company. Today, Clark Pest Control has 26 locations throughout California and Nevada, making it one of the largest pest control companies in the United States.
In 2010, Clark Pest Control received the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) award from the California Department of Pesticide Regulation (DPR). This award recognizes companies that offer quality pest control services with an emphasis on natural, low-risk solutions, highlighting Clark Pest Control’s dedication to providing services that are as safe as they are effective.
Things to know:
- Clark Pest Control provides both residential and commercial pest control services.
- They provide protection against both household and garden pests.
- Their services include: Ant, beetle, cockroach, tick, spider, silverfish, termite, earwig, rodent, flea, cricket, fly, wasp, moth, springtail, bee, bird, whitefly and aphid control.
- Clark Pest control offers a year-round pest management service, to help guard against recurrent problems.
- They use cutting-edge technology with an emphasis on safe, sustainable, and green methods of pest control. This not only deals with pests in the most humane way possible but is also kind to the environment and human health.
Truly Nolen is a family-owned pest control company best-known for its trademark yellow mouse car. Truly Nolen was first founded back in 1938 by Truly Wheatfield Nolen in Miami, Florida, and is now a global company with over 200 locations worldwide.
The iconic yellow mouse cars have been the key identifying factor of Truly Nolen since 1961 and, prior to that, the Nolens used a fleet of antique cars to advertise their company.
It didn’t take long for this family-owned business to grow into an international venture, and Truly Nolen opened their first Mexican franchise in 1950. The company went from strength to strength and now operates from over 200 locations across 61 countries. In the United States, Truly Nolen has 95 separate locations.
Throughout the years, the company has evolved to incorporate Green Side practices that effectively tackle pests while making a minimal impact on the environment. Truly Nolen has tirelessly researched high performing, natural pest control products to bring their customers the safest pest control solutions they can find.
Things to know:
- Provides both residential, industrial, agricultural, pharmaceutical and commercial pest control services.
- Their services include: Ant, bee, beetle, bird, boxelder, bed bug, caterpillar, cricket, earwig, flea, fly, gnat, grub, louse, millipede, mosquito, moth, roach, rodent, scorpion, silverfish, spider, tick, wasp, and weevil control.
- Truly Nolen also offer lawncare services.
- Truly Nolen provide a free estimate based on your personal pest control requirements, as well as follow up inspections to ensure customer satisfaction.
America’s no.1 lawncare company began in 1973, when it was founded in Troy, Michigan. TruGreen is dedicated to helping their customers achieve a lush, healthy lawn and use a range of scientifically formulated products to achieve this. Their fertilizer, soil amendment, and pest control services all use products and solutions designed by PhD-certified agronomists, helping them to deliver the very best in lawncare and a Healthy Lawn Guarantee.
The green-enthusiasts at TruGreen are dedicated to providing a lush and healthy space for their customers. It is their undying belief that a lush lawn is great not only for the environment but for the health and life satisfaction of those living by it.
It would seem their customers agree, and TruGreen now operates across over 300 locations in North America. The company services over 2.3 million residential and commercial customers across the United States alone, and has over 3 million customers worldwide.
Their excellence in lawncare is widely recognized and, in 2017, the company scooped the prestigious Franchise of the Year award, presented by Servicemaster Ltd.
Things to know:
- Provides both residential and commercial lawn pest control services.
- Their services include: Weed, grub, flea, tick and mosquito control, lawn aeration, fertilization, tree and shrub care, and overseeding services.
- Trugreen offers a specialist Healthy Lawn Analysis to assess your specific lawncare needs.
- They will provide continual services every 4-6 weeks and can also make additional visits to your property as needed.
Official Pest Prevention
Official Pest Prevention was founded at the turn of the millennium, on January 1st, 2000. The company began with a tiny team of just 4 people, but their exceptional service soon won them customers. Since their humble beginnings, Official Pest Prevention has successfully serviced over 40,000 northern California households and the family has expanded to include over 25 employees.
The company first opened in Elk Grove but, since then, has expanded to offer their services to residents throughout northern California. Their 24-hour service and glowing testimonials have earned them a 5-star reputation that continues to win them new clients year-on-year.
Since opening, they have expanded their services significantly. In the early days, they were only able to offer residential pest control but, today, also offer commercial and industrial services. They also offer weed control, lawn, tree and shrub treatment, and outdoor pest control.
Official Pest Preventions rapid growth has largely resulted from word of mouth recommendations passed on from their satisfied customers. Their dedication to outstanding customer service and effective pest control solutions is widely appreciated and surely will continue to expedite the company’s growth for years to come.
Things to know:
- Provides residential, industrial, and commercial pest control services.
- Their services include: Ant, spider, wasp, rodent, bed bug, tick, flea, aphid, yellowjacket, whitefly, and termite control, as well as wild animal removal (e.g. foxes, feral cats and dogs, skunks, moles, squirrels, and coyotes).
- Official Pest Prevention offers regular follow-up appointments to ensure complete and lasting pest control.
- They offer both indoor and outdoor pest control services, including tree, shrub, and lawn treatments.
Pro Pacific Pest Control
Pro Pacific Pest Control is a family-owned and operated company that first began in 1997 in San Diego, California. Since opening, they have grown to become a leading provider of pest control services, not only in San Diego but also in Orange County and Riverside County.
Pro Pacific is dedicated to providing a professional and effective service to their customers. Their expert technicians are highly qualified to assess and address every pest problem, and the company prides themselves on getting the job done the first time. This reduces the need for call-backs and gives their customers peace of mind that their pest problems will be solved promptly.
Pro Pacific Pest Control has a firm focus on Integrated Pest Management (IPM). This practice is not only highly effective against pests, but also has a lower environmental impact than traditional pest control methods. Rather than using pesticides indiscriminately, Pro Pacific implements a more targeted approach that maximizes results while limiting their use of chemical products.
Their commitment to providing a safe and quality service is at the core of their business philosophy, and Pro Pacific have aligned themselves with Pest Control Operators of California (PCOC) and Independent Pest Control Association (IPCA). This keeps them stay up to date with all the latest guidelines and regulations of the pest control industry, allowing the company to continuously evolve.
Things to know:
- Provides both residential and commercial pest control services.
- Their services include: Ant, bed bug, bee, bird, cockroach, cricket, earwig, flea, moth, rodent, silverfish, spider, tick, and wasp control.
- Pro Pacific offers free inspections and estimates to all their customers, and also back up their services with a money-back guarantee.
- Pro Pacific offers bi-monthly and quarterly appointments, for year-round protection from pests.
There you have it, a list of California’s top pest control companies. But how to actually chose which pest control operator will be most suited for your needs? Read below!
How to choose the best pest control service provider for your needs
Identify your problem
It can help to get an idea of what you’re dealing with before you attempt to hire a pest control professional. This will help you to choose a company that’s best suited for your needs.
Most pest control companies can get rid of rats and roaches. However, if you have a problem with pests that can cause structural damage to your home (like termites, carpenter ants, or wood-boring beetles) it’s best to look for a company with expertise in this area. Similarly, if you have a problem with wildlife, you will need to find a company that can handle this.
Giving a clear indication of your problem and what you need will help you determine outright if a company has the services you need.
Ask plenty of questions
You want to be sure that your pest exterminator of choice can handle your problem, so ask plenty of questions when you call them. This is the best way of making sure they’re knowledgeable about the pest in question. It can help to compile a list of questions before you speak with them to make sure you get all the information you need.
After the initial inspection, they should be able to clearly outline: the extent of your problem, what type of pest you’re dealing with, how they plan to treat the problem, what products they will use, how long they expect the treatment to take, how much the treatment will cost and any safety precautions you need to take.
Choose a company with expertise that matches your needs
If you have a problem with outdoor pests, choose a company that specializes in yard treatments. If you have termites, go for one with a solid reputation for eliminating termites. If your yard is overrun with coyotes, find a service provider that knows how to safely remove wildlife.
The best results will always come from people who know what they’re doing, so always look for a pest management company with experience in tackling your specific pest problem.
Choose a company that’s near you
One of the main questions you need to ask yourself is: which is the best pest control company near me? You may have found the perfect company with all the services you need but, if their headquarters are 100 miles away, they aren’t going to be much use.
Many pest control companies offer an on-call service, so you can have them at your front door as needed. For this to be useful, however, they also need to be able to get there quickly.
Always check out the location of a pest control company before you consider hiring them, and speak to a representative from that company to find out if they have easy access to your area be it Los Angeles, San Diego, or San Francisco.
What you need to know when choosing a pest control service in California
Do your research before hiring any professional pest control service to make sure you’re getting the best value for your money and that the company you choose is reputable. Check out online reviews, look for references, and make sure they have the proper identification and credentials before signing any kind of contract. It’s advisable to write up a list of questions to ask beforehand. And make sure you get a quote before agreeing to any service.
Also, make sure you find out exactly what type of products they plan to use ahead of time. All pest control products must be registered by the U.S EPA and the States Departments of Agriculture to ensure both your health and that of the environment.
Once you’ve settled on a company and service plan, follow their instructions to the letter to ensure your pest control treatment is safe, effective, and long-lasting.