What Are Bed Bugs?
You don’t want them in your home due to their hard-to-find nature and the fact that they feed exclusively on blood. They are usually flat and sort of reddish and brown in color but this is before they eat. After they have had a full meal of blood, they swell up, no longer flat, and become more red than brown. They are bed bugs.
Bed bugs can go undetected for a long time, sometimes as long as six months. They have been known to be able to stay without meals for about one year if the weather is cool enough. But in normal weather, they would feed and they would rather feed at night when the host is sleeping.
They can live in the tiniest crack and crevice, into which they can fit. It does not matter where; it could be in the wood of your furniture, the almost undetectable rent in the seams of your mattress, your bed sheets and even handbags and luggage.
How to Know When There Is a Bed Bug Infestation
The first sign that your home may have been infested with bedbugs bites. If you or the people you live with start complaining of bites while asleep, you may need to check for bed bugs. Also, if you suddenly have red welts which appear as spots and which itch, it may be time to check your home for them.
Bed bugs lay eggs, as many as 5 a day if the weather and the surroundings are right. The eggs are usually very tiny and light-colored. You may easily miss them if you are not looking for them but once you know what they look like, they are easy to find.
Another way to know if your home is experiencing an infestation of bed bugs is from their droppings. They are usually liquid and dark-colored and may either soak into the surface where they drop or go solid when dry.
Don’t panic, though. This buying guide will NOT only inform you on how to know if you have an infestation of these pests in your home but also how to get rid of them and which bed bug poison to use.
Types of Bed Bug Infestation Treatment
There are different ways to handle an infestation of bed bugs. Below are some of them:
Due to the fact that bed bugs are very wily and hide in cracks and crevices, coming out only at night, it is sometimes difficult to reach them. However, when you use a heat box and place items which you suspect have bed bugs in them inside the box, it would be easier to kill them.
The prescribed heat with which to achieve such a purpose is between 117-120 degrees Fahrenheit. This would ensure that the walls of the heat box are adequately hot so as to penetrate through all the items.
This method is expensive, though. It could cost as much as $700 to get this done.
There are special canines trained to detect bugs, bed bugs inclusive. But to hire them is also expensive and there is no guarantee that they would pick out all the bugs in one try.
Using sprays can be effective in eliminating bed bugs. The chemicals of the spray would get to the bugs wherever they are, without having to wait for them to come out. The downside is that sprays are chemicals and can be highly toxic. They cannot be touted as safe.
This is about the same as using heat. You may not be able to do this on your own and may have to hire a professional. It would take time and money, as much as $500 or more.
This is the use of non-toxic powder or dust to eliminate bed bugs. It is one of the easiest, safest, cheapest and could be said to be the best way to get rid of bed bugs. It is the most commonly used method these days and has been proven to work well.
What to consider before choosing a bed bug powder
There are different types of bed bug powders out there on the market and all of them are touted as the best bed bug powder even though they vary in strength and effectiveness. The most used material for making them is the naturally-occurring, non-toxic diatomaceous earth dust, formed from diatoms which have existed for hundreds of millions of years. This ingredient is the main component and should be a deciding factor for you. When this bed bug dust touches the exoskeleton of a bed bug, it dries it up completely.
However, you cannot just assume that all bed bug powders are made exclusively from this earth dust so here are some of the factors to look out for when making a choice:
- Level of toxicity: Most of the available bed bug powders are not toxic for both human beings and animals but are highly poisonous to the bugs. You would do well to read the labels on the containers before you buy. And if you have children, especially toddlers, you have to be doubly sure
- Affordability: Depending on the level of infestation of the bugs in your home, you may need to buy several containers before you can effectively get rid of all of them. But it is usually not expensive per container, sometimes going for as low as $10
- Effectiveness: How well would it work? Some powders work faster than others, covering a wider range of infested areas
- Durability: The good thing about using powder is the fact that it is residual. This means that you don’t have to reapply every time. Diatomaceous earth powder has the ability to last for as long as it remains dry. You can pour a line of it and it would keep killing bugs for as long as you don’t sweep it off or allow them to get wet
How to Use Bed Bug Powder
When you realize that bed bug powders are readily available and you get yours, the first thing you may want to do is to start pouring it anywhere and everywhere you suspect there are bugs. That is wrong. Some people have been known to just heap mounds in random places around their homes. That would solve nothing.
The first step to effective bed bug eradication using powder treatment is to be sure of where they nest or lay eggs. If you are not sure of particular locations but have suspicions, then that would work too.
Do a thorough cleaning of the house and wash all the sheets and clothes you can with hot water and dry with a hot dryer. If you can, scrub the rugs and wipe down the woodwork of your house with hot water.
When all these are done and have dried, put on gloves and a face mask. The bed bug powder can be quite dusty because of its fine nature. Then, begin to sprinkle the bed bug dust into crack and openings around the house. Sprinkle between the seams of mattresses and under bed sheets. Don’t overlook any tiny crack, especially when you aren’t sure of places they could be hiding.
Make sure that the powder is spread evenly and thinly around the house. Don’t dump it in heaps because it may scare the bugs away. You may need to do this several times over a few weeks, depending on the level of infestation.
It is important to note that the lists in this buying guide are not all-inclusive. People may come up with varying home remedies to get rid of bed bugs but if you stick with the information you have above, it would become less burdensome having to choose the best bed bug powder.
To further ease the work for you, let us have a look at eight-bed bug powders that have proven to be effective.
Harris Diatomaceous Powder
- Manufacturer: PF Harris
- Net volume: Not Specified
- Active ingredients: Diatomaceous earth
- Kid safe: Yes
- Pet safe: Yes
- Other features: Powder duster included, easy-to-reseal bag
PF Harris has been in the game of creating repellents for every type of bug for a very long time. It is a leading name in developing and manufacturing natural insect killers and it is trusted and used by many, both government and individual. Despite the fact that it has been around for so long, PF Harris has stayed ahead of the game, meeting the demands which change with the times and keeping its customers satisfied, not only with its products but also with services that vary from instructional videos to one-on-one advice.
PF Harris is the oldest American company that is registered with the EPA. Experience comes with age and this brand has it on its side. And if you are looking for a lasting effect with pest repellents, you would not be wrong to trust PF Harris.
There is no need to worry about taking your kids or pets out of the way while you use Harris Diatomaceous Earth powder to sort out the worrisome bugs and mites around your house. This product is not toxic at all and has no additives. It is a trusted solution; one of the top home remedies for getting rid of bed bugs. In fact, there has been feedback from some customers who say they have used it around their pets and even ingesting it, and all was fine.
Its main ingredient and the most active is the diatomaceous earth, which occurs naturally and can be used for different purposes that go beyond the killing of insects. Because it is organic, it is listed with OMRI (Organic Minerals Research Institute) and it has been proven to be food grade.
This product comes in a 4-pound bag, which would be more than enough for a month if used moderately. Best of all, it contains a powder duster for easy and effective application, especially in areas which may otherwise be difficult to get to.
- Completely natural diatomaceous earth with no additive
- Non-toxic so can be used around children and pets
- Comes in a 4-pound bag, which would be enough for at least a month, depending on usage
- Comes with a powder duster that eases the application of the bed bug powder into cracks and crevices that are hard to reach. This duster also has the following: applicator, cap, bellows with a flexible body and a nozzle
- Can be put to different uses apart from repelling insects. For some users, it is edible
- Organic Minerals Research Institute has it listed as safe and organic
- This product may work well for bed bugs and mites but some users say it does not work for fleas
- Some other users also complained of it being messy, even with the powder duster
Delta Dust Insecticide Dust
- Manufacturer: Bayer
- Net volume: 1 pound
- Active ingredients: Deltamethrin 0.05%
- Target insects: Bed bugs, ants, cockroaches, fleas, crickets, slugs, spiders, etc.
- Where can be used: Indoor/outdoors
- Residue: Yes
- Other features: Works well for even bees
Aiming to give and succeeding in giving its customers an environment which is safe and healthy for more than 150 years, Bayer is a name that can be trusted. It is driven to create and sustain innovative ways to keep your home and environment totally clear of pests and insects of all kinds.
From inside your house to the greeneries, there is no part that is beyond the reach of Bayer. And as much as it strives to please you, it also wants to make green life happy by keeping it alive and well.
The customer’s happiness and satisfaction stays at the top of this brand’s priority list and it does not take this job lightly; it is evidenced by the fact that many establishments, including golf clubs, greenhouse and nursery owners, and personal property owners trust it to keep harmful pests and pests out of their homes and properties. You cannot go wrong by trusting Bayer with pest management.
If you are looking for that pesticide which works wonders and has a multipurpose function, then you do not need to look too far from Delta Dust Multi Use Pest Control Insecticide Dust. It comes in a large one-pound container that can easily cover 2,000 square feet of land if used all at once.
This means that, in one fell swoop, you can cover both your home and your lawn, if you have pest problems with them. And if the problem is just indoors, you can save some and use over and over again. This saves you some money.
There is no end to the types of insects and pests that this bed bug killer powder can eliminate. As easily as it kills bed bugs, it can also kill cockroaches, mites, fleas, spiders, termites, ground beetles, centipedes, carpenter ants, scorpions, millipedes, carpenter bees, ground beetles…the list is endless.
The price is also easy on the eye, considering that it comes in a one-pound package. It costs about $20. However, when you put it side by side with all the infestation problems it can take care of, you realize you are getting value for money.
It can even kill wasps and bees. Isn’t that nice? If you can save some money on wasp and hornet sprays and kill two birds with one stone, why not?
- Large enough to cover a pretty big area, about 2,000sq.ft. at once
- Can be used more than once if the infested area is small enough
- Pretty affordable
- Cuts across a very wide range of crawling and flying insects it can kill
- Also poisonous to wasps and bees
- Comes with no powder duster
- Could get sticky and difficult to clean off of carpets
- Maybe a little toxic – cannot be applied to just about any surface
- Has a short shelf life
CimeXa Insecticide Dust
- Manufacturer: Rockwell Labs Ltd.
- Net volume: 4 ounces
- Active ingredients: Amorphous silica
- Target insects: Bed bugs, lice, mites, fleas, cockroaches, ants, ticks, silverfish, and spiders.
- Where can be used: Indoors
- Pet safe: Yes
- Residue: Yes
- Odor/scent: Yes/No
- Other features: Can easily absorb oil and water for quick destruction of insects cuticle
Established in 1998, Rockwell Labs is dedicated to developing and producing products which stand out in the world of pest management. The quality and uniqueness of its products have made it the go-to brand for pest control for many universities and companies. It has a wide variety of products and the beautiful thing about them is that you can use one product to take care of many different kinds of pests.
The company does not just rely on its past successes to stay in the game; it keeps going back to the drawing board in order to keep churning out relevant, effective and satisfying solutions which would keep its customers happy and attract more.
CimeXa Insecticide dust is one of a kind. It can be used to eliminate not just bed bugs but also fire bats, mites, silverfish, fleas, spiders, ticks, roaches and even lice, all in just one bottle. This means that you do not have to get different bottles of insecticides to rid your home of annoying and sometimes, dangerous pests. This effective cure for bed bugs has got your back.
Another great quality of this product is that it can be used to take care of termites which feed on dry wood. You do not need to incur any extra cost in order to keep those destroyers off your precious wood. You do not even need to go looking for a professional; you can handle it on your own.
Furthermore, this bed bug powder is safe to be used in crevices and cracks, on your mattress, carpet, where your pets stay and on your wooden furniture without any fears. This is further buttressed by the fact that it can absorb oil and water when it is in liquid form; this means it has added strength where others may fail to work.
- Much strength in one bottle: ability to kill many types of insects like bed bugs, mites, fleas, spiders and ticks in one puff
- Can also rid your home of an infestation of termites which feed on dry wood
- The bottle can be used to puff out the powder – no further need for a duster
- Safe to be used close to pets and possibly children – can be applied to mattresses, wood boards, cracks and crevices around the house, pet areas and carpets
- It can absorb water except when it is in liquid form, and even oil, in order to clear off the waxy cuticles of insects and dry them off
- Comes at a good price for a product that is the rave
- According to some users, it is very drying to humans and can be messy during application
Safer Brand Diatomaceous Earth
- Manufacturer: Safer Brand
- Net volume: Not specified
- Active ingredients: Diatomaceous earth
- Target insects: Bed bugs, ants, and every crawling insect
- Where can be used: Indoors and outdoors
- Other features: Can be used as pesticide for gardens
Just as its name suggests, Safer Brand aims to keep you and yours safe and free of every burdensome insect or pest. Needless to say, it is not just a name; it has proven over time to produce effective pest repellents.
With over 20 years of dedication, innovation, and customer satisfaction to its name; Safer Brands has offered and keeps offering a wide range of pest killers to choose from, looking to please and satisfy customers as much as possible.
Above all else, this brand produces some of the safest insecticides and pesticides: they are mostly organic. So you do not have to worry much about chemicals affecting your kids or your pets, even your garden produce if you choose to trust Safer Brand with your choice of repellents.
Safer Brand 51702 Diatomaceous Earth is one of the safest and most natural bed bug powders out there, derived from the naturally-occurring fresh-water algae called diatoms, which are not toxic to human beings or animals but are horrible for insects generally and bugs particularly.
How? The diatomaceous earth powder is very dry. When an insect or bug comes across it and it gets into its system, it sucks up all the moisture within its body, leaving it dehydrated and eventually killing it.
This bed bug dust works in two ways: it is either an insect ingests it or crawls across it. Either way, once it makes any form of contact, it is dead. So you don’t have to worry that the target insects may not walk across the line of this bed bug powder you have laid out for them; if it is spread in the house, it will work. It is that powerful.
Bed bugs cannot grow immune to this product because, unlike other bed bug chemicals, this product has no chemical for them to grow immune to. So they will always remain vulnerable to it.
Moreover, this bed bug killer powder works as well outside as it does inside. If you have this, you do not have to buy pesticides to keep away pests from your garden; this would take care of them for you. Its food-grade nature ensures safety for your garden produces and its non-toxicity ensures it is edible yet remains deadly to insects. Isn’t that amazing?
- Made from diatomaceous earth, a naturally-occurring, and safe bed bug powder. Deadly for insects but relatively safe for human beings and animals
- Works in two ways to ensure effectiveness: by the insect ingesting it or crawling across it
- Works efficiently both outside and inside your house
- It is food-grade so is not harmful even if it is ingested
- Bugs cannot grow immune to it
- Also works well as a garden pesticide
- Comes in a large, 4-pound bag, large enough to last a while
- Some users complained that the bag cannot be resealed, like a Ziploc
Harris Bed Bug Killer
- Manufacturer: PF Harris
- Net volume: 8 oz.
- Active ingredients: Diatomaceous earth
- Target insects: Bedbugs
- Where can be used: Indoors
- Kid safe: Yes
- Pet safe: Yes
- Residue: Yes
- Odor/scent: Yes
- Other features: Listed with Organic Minerals Research Institute (OMRI)
With a name that is trusted in millions of homes all over the world, PF Harris has been in business for more than 100 years and counting. But even with its age, it still keeps up with the changing times, striving to keep homes and environments pest-free.
With over 50 products on the market, all clearly and well labeled to avoid confusion, PF Harris also advises its customers personally, showcasing its deep and widespread knowledge in this area of expertise, as well as its deep appreciation of its customers.
Some things cannot be gotten overnight, not even with money, and experience is top of that list of things. PF Harris is experienced in the eradication and control of pests and insects. Rest assured that you are in the best hands when you trust PF Harris.
Looking for a treatment which thoroughly takes care of a worrisome infestation without having to call a professional? Harris Bedbug Killer, Diatomaceous Earth hands you the solution you need. Made from the natural diatomaceous earth, it has neither additives nor fillers.
This fact makes it non-toxic and safe for people and animals while remaining highly dangerous for insects.
It acts very fast on insects, drying them up within 48 hours of them coming in contact with the powder. The mites and beetles on your carpets and around your furniture stand no chance against this effective bed bug carpet powder. It has been proven to work well and does not stick to the carpet, making a mess.
As long as it remains dry, this diatomaceous dust can remain effective for weeks after the first application. This feature helps you save money and time because you don’t use it up too quickly and you don’t have to keep reapplying.
The mouth is a puffer so this makes it easy to get the powder to otherwise hard to reach places like mattress seams, cracks and crevices and behind boards.
Harris Bed Bug Killer is registered with the Environmental Protection Agency, as good a seal of approval as any. It is also listed with the Organic Mineral research Institute, marking it as safe for use without adverse effects.
- Made from diatomaceous earth, which has no toxicity for people and animals but deadly for insects
- No additives or fillers
- Acts fast on insects, killing them off within 48 hours
- Has a long residual property, as long as it remains dry
- Easy to use because it has a puffer
- Gets too hard to reach areas like tiny cracks and crevices, behind boards and into mattress seams
- Registered with the EPA and OMRI-listed
- Could be messy because it is highly dusty
- It has a drying effect when inhaled
Hot Shot HG Bedbug Powder
- Manufacturer: Spectrum brand Holding, a division of United Industries Corporation
- Net volume: 8 ounces
- Active ingredients: Silicon dioxide, 85%
- Target insects: Bed bugs and fleas
- Kid safe: No
- Residue: Yes
- Other features: Contains diatomaceous earth
Spectrum Holdings is a division of United Industries Corporation. It is a vast, leading and constantly growing consumer company, catering to various needs. It covers a wide range of areas like plumbing, grooming, building hardware, batteries, household appliances, pest management and so on.
You would think that its focus on different areas of human needs would subtract from its overall performance but no, this company has created sub-divisions and delegated to them to ensure the smooth running and steady satisfaction of its trusting customers.
It spans about 150 countries with about a million stores in them. Its drive is to ensure proximity for every customer and to sustain growth so that, with the changing times, the needs of its customers are met and it keeps up with the demands of the market.
You are not wrong to trust Spectrum with your everyday needs because it is not media hype but a tested and trusted consumer company which has stood the test of time.
Hot Shot HG – 96084 Bedbug and Flea Killer Powder has the ability to kill bugs fast. Within the first twenty-four hours after application of this bed bug killer powder, you would find dead insects everywhere you applied it (This applies to when you have a mild to moderate infestation of insects, though).
This is a great feature because you would not have to wait for too long before you begin to see the effects of the poison. And the quicker you rid your environment of these pests, the earlier you can rest and get back to normalcy.
More so, it has a long residual property. This bug poison has the ability to keep killing any extra insect which may have escaped the powder in the first twenty-four hours, for the next few weeks. Not only does it save you the time it would take to reapply, it also saves you the money that may have been used for an extra bottle.
Its elimination power is not restricted to just bed bugs. Hot Shot HG also has the power to kill off and keep off other insects and pests like fleas. So as you are puffing it into cracks and crevices to get to hidden bed bugs, you may also inadvertently kill off fleas in the process.
Hot Shot HG contains some diatomaceous earth, one of the best natural insect killers available. Diatomaceous earth bed bugs can’t survive because it’s extremely dangerous to them so if they can, they steer clear of it. That is why this earth is the first port of call for the eradication of an infestation, ever since its power was discovered.
- Kills fast – within 24 hours
- Contains diatomaceous earth
- The bottle has a puffer for easy application into difficult areas
- Long residual power
- Not restricted to bed bugs – can kill other insects, too
- May contain some chemicals
- May leave some stains
JT Eaton Bedbug Powder
- Manufacturer: JT Eaton
- Active ingredients: Silicon dioxide from diatomaceous earth, 85%; moisture, 5%
- Target insects: Bedbugs, ants, fleas and so on
- Where can be used: Indoors/outdoors
- Kid-safe: No
- Pet safe: No
- Other features: 1-year warranty; bugs don’t develop immunity to it
JT Eaton exists to provide a lasting solution to an infestation of pests. It manufactures and distributes pest management products which work to users’ satisfaction. It manufactures mostly with safe ingredients to ensure the safety of the users yet see to it that the problem does not persist.
Established in 1932, JT Eaton has a wealth of experience and expertise which can only come with time and efforts, consistently going back to the drawing board in order to create unique, quality yet practical products suitable for your homes.
Not only does it manufacture products, JT Eaton also gives advice to its numerous customers so that they can keep living in healthy environments because at the top of its list of goals lies customer satisfaction. You can rest easy with products from JT Eaton. It will not lead you wrong.
A major percentage of JT Eaton 203 Bedbug and Crawling Insect powder is made up of diatomaceous earth, a non-toxic and naturally-occurring earth dust which is relatively safe for people and pets but extremely deadly to insects.
The dust, when it comes in contact with an insect, penetrates the exoskeleton and dries it up (the dust is very dry), causing severe dehydration and eventually, death. Normally, all these take only hours to happen because the earth dust works fast but for some users, it takes a few days to begin to see results.
The amazing part of it is that insects and crawlers cannot grow immune to it. Due to the fact that it naturally contains no chemical which they can grow resistant to, and works with just its extremely dry nature, insects tend to have no resistance to it and remain susceptible.
This bed bug powder can be used in different areas where you suspect some form of infestation; such as wood boards, cracks and crevices but you would have to keep from inhaling it and your children from coming close to it if you have any, especially those who are under 3 years.
- Contains diatomaceous earth which is non-toxic and all natural
- Quick, easy and best way to get rid of bed bugs and other insects
- Works for a myriad of bugs and insects; not exclusive to bed bugs
- Insects cannot develop immunity to it; they remain susceptible
- Can be safely used in problem areas within the house
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Even though it is made mainly from diatomaceous earth dust, there is a bit of toxicity in it so is unsafe for you, your pets and your children, especially if you have those who are less than 3 years
- Comes with no powder duster or applicator – you may have to buy this separately or find another way to safely and evenly apply the powder
Ortho Bed Bug Powder
- Manufacturer: Ortho
- Active ingredients: Deltamethrin (S), alpha-cyano (3)-phenoxybenzyl (1R-3R), -3-(2, 2 dibromovinyl) -2, 2- dimethyl-cyclopropanecarboxylate – 0.05%; other ingredients – 99.95%
- Target insects: Bed bugs, ticks, and fleas
- Where can be used: Indoors
- Kid-safe: No
- Residue: Yes
- Odor/scent: No
- Other features: Puffer, for cracks and crevices
Ortho is a brand under the ScottsMiracle-Gro, a massive conglomerate which generally handles the manufacture of products for the upkeep of gardens, lawns, landscapes and pest management, to mention a few. In the last 150 years, the company has consistently grown and kept gardeners and homeowners happy and satisfied with top-of-the-line products which they may have hitherto been lacking.
Nothing works for people like having the ears of another, especially when the other person is offering goods and services. This company gives ears to its customers’ questions and complaints, using them to improve on already existing products and create innovative ways to stay ahead of the game by inventing new products, has been in the industry for a very long time.
Not minding the changing times, it remains nimble with meeting demands. Through the years, it has remained trusted and plans to remain so because of its passion to keep the earth and environment around you safe, clean and healthy.
Ortho Home Defense Bed Bug Killer Powder comes as a puffer. This means that you can reach every part of your house that needs to be free from bugs and insects, including tiny cracks and openings which you normally would not be able to reach.
The size of the bottle also ensures that you have an adequate supply of the powder for as much as 1,500 square feet. That should be enough for your home; it does not have to cover every inch of your floor, just the affected parts.
Once the powder comes in contact with any insect, it kills it. It is quick action so you don’t have to wait around for days before you begin to see its effect.
And even if more insects come into your house after application, you can rest assured that the first application would take care of them because Ortho Bed Bug Killer Powder has a long-lasting effect. This saves you money and time.
The powder has no odor. Even though it is not advisable to inhale it or to leave off wearing protective masks and gloves while applying, you still do not have to worry about any residual odor from it.
- The bottle comes as a puffer – creates an ability to reach cracks and crevices
- Enough supply to cover a reasonable space – about 1,500sq.ft
- Quick killing power – once it comes in contact with the target insect
- Long residual power
- Has no odor
- It is affordable
- Works fine, no matter the level of the infestation
- Not safe for children – could be a bit toxic
- Limited in the number of insects it can kill
In the end, it is up to you, whether you would let your home be overrun by bed bugs or not. The buying guide has shown you what you need to look out for in bed bug powders. The reviews, on the other hand, have given you a number of great options you can pick from. Now the ball’s in your court – Go ahead and choose one so you can start now to rid your home of those bed bugs, all by yourself.