Allergic Reactions to Mosquito Bites

Home » How To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes » Mosquitoes » Mosquito Bites » Allergic Reactions to Mosquito Bites

Mosquito bites are nasty all on their own because when a mosquito bites you get a red raised bump, as well as the bite usually itches like there is no tomorrow, which is not only annoying but can also be painful as well. But there are also people that are really allergic to mosquito bites and they can get even severe allergic reaction from a mosquito bite. So how can you tell whether you are allergic to mosquito bites or the mosquito just got you really good and it is just a bad mosquito bite?

Well you can determine it by seeing if your reaction to the mosquito bite fit the description of the mosquito bite allergy symptoms. Usually after a mosquito has bitten us the mosquito bite area will get red and itchy, in mosquito bite allergy case the bite can swell and enlarge, so much that you start to doubt if it was a mosquito that bit you. Also the mosquito bite area or sometimes even the muscles in this area can get painful and sore causing an uncomfortable feeling and the bites can linger on your skin longer than it should. If after mosquito bites you experience some of these symptoms, chances are you are probably allergic to mosquito bites.

On more extreme mosquito allergy cases a person can even develop something called Skeeters Syndrome, when not only the mosquito bite is enlarged, but, for example, if the mosquito bites you in the arm, then your whole arm can swell. And there have even been cases when the person falls into an anaphylactic shock or get some other case of extreme reaction to a mosquito bite, that can be deadly if not cared properly.

The severity of the allergic reaction usually will depend on how many mosquito bites you have and how long each mosquito had bitten you. The more bites you have obviously the worse your reaction can be.

The thing that causes the allergy or causes the mosquito bite to itch even if you are not allergic to mosquitoes is not the fact that they insert their syringe-like proboscis into the skin but it is caused by saliva that mosquitoes inject into our blood stream when they suck our blood. The mosquito female saliva contains an anti coagulant that prevents our blood from clotting so that the mosquito is able to suck as much blood as they need. However, because it is a foreign substance to our bodies they establish a defense mechanism against this substance – they create histamine that causes the redness and itching. And when our bodies find that they are allergic to the mosquito saliva, they create more histamine than it is necessary and that’s why you experience more severe reaction than only a red bump and an itch.

But know that even if you aren’t allergic to mosquitoes and anyone in your family aren’t allergic to mosquitoes either, children by themselves are more likely to develop allergy like symptoms, so you need to specially guard your children from the mosquitoes. Human body develops antibodies to mosquito saliva every time a mosquito bites, therefore because mosquitoes have bitten children a lot less, they don’t have as much antibodies and can have allergic reaction from just a single or few mosquito bites. So protect yourselves and especially children from mosquitoes, by preventing the mosquitoes from biting. You can do it in a few different ways. One of them is to regularly use mosquito repellent when you spend time outdoors in mosquito season. But if you don’t want to bother yourself and your children with constant mosquito repellent sprays, then another option is to use a mosquito fogger in the area you will be spending time in, because mosquito fogger will keep the mosquitoes away for long time and you won’t have to stress about reapplying a mosquito repellent.



I have neuropathy from diabetes. When I get a mosquito bite, it swells big, itches terribly, and it triggers my neuropathy up and down the whole arm, leg, etc. – wherever the bug has bitten. It makes me feel panicky, and feel like crawling the walls. I do have Benadryl and took some tonight, as well as using ice. Is this an allergic reaction? I was bitten inside my home! What if my reaction gets worse?


    Your question seems more on the medical side, which isn’t exactly our field of expertise. You should consult a trained medical professional for all matters related to a medical disease (in this case, diabetes, as well as allergic responses). Good luck!

Submit a comment

Your email address will not be published*